Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year!

Times Square on New Year's Eve, Fair Use Claimed, source:  http://www.timessquarenyc.org/events/new-years-eve/index.aspx#.UsNf8PuNxRE
 
Greetings All:

Somewhere in the world, it's already 2014.  For those of us in the Midwest, we've got about five hours and change left before in the words of John Lennon, "...another year over, a new one just begun."  I wanted to take a few moments and sign off on 2013 primarily to says thanks to everyone who read my blog this past year, shared it and commented on it.  As I have said before, I seek topics that while not intentionally controversial, yet still (hopefully) trigger pause for thought and comment.  I also write on the stuff going on in my life that I find interesting enough to share and that may coincidentally cause some humor, or at least, on occasion, a smile.

The new year is a time to rightfully reflect on the past year and think ahead about the future one to come.  I do not believe in resolutions for they have the shelf life of a lightning bug in a jar in June.  For whatever reason, they never come to pass.  There are a number of theories on why that is.  I suspect the prime cause is that people simply do not really want to change. 

Please do take this as a dig on goal setting.  If anything, I think that goal setting is a great thing.  Again, there is a ton of information out there on that subject.  If you're looking for a book on the subject, I highly recommend Vic Johnson's Goal Setting:  13 Secrets of World Class Achievers.  I have both the audio and print version of it.  Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Goal-Setting-Secrets-World-Achievers-ebook/dp/B005WE7H8W

I am going to write some more on that subject in the coming year, focusing specifically on the power of systems.  I am convinced that a system is nothing more than a habit that has shaved and is wearing a collared shirt.  In other words, a system, like a habit, is something you do regularly.  However, unlike a habit, systems are related and are part of a larger process.  I'm excited about this project and look forward to sharing it with you.

In the meantime, I want to wish everyone the best for the coming year.  If you had a great 2013, then bravo!  If it was not a good year, then good riddance!  If it was somewhere in between, then take tonight to focus on what was good.  Sir John Templeton, a one time the richest man in the world, told Tony Robbins that gratitude is the secret to wealth.  I'll take that advice.  Then, tomorrow, take a few minutes (or an hour) and write down how you'd like 2014 to be different and better.  I use the moleskin notebooks I get at Target in a pack of three for about $12.00.  However, any notebook will do.  If you don't have one, use a piece of scrap paper.  You can transcribe it later.  The important thing is to write it down.  Vic Johnson, Tony Robbins and the list goes on and on of folks who endorse this idea.  The process in the beginning is a bit awkward, especially if you have not done it before.  However, it does get easier.  And, by the way, it can be a lot of fun.

Adieu 2013, bonjour 2014. 

Be well my friends,
Jeno

No comments:

Post a Comment