Monday, September 1, 2014

The Comforts of Home

U.S. Soldiers on a transit ship during World War II, full citation below.

Greetings All:

I spent three weeks away from home in August.  It was an interesting training exercise and I learned a great deal from it.  I also made some new friends.  All in all, it was time well spent.  However, I'd be a liar to say I enjoyed either the accommodations or the travel.  This was simply how things were and I knew the score going into the endeavor.  

Still, I was surprised at how long it took me to bounce back and return to a normal sleep schedule.  There was a 14 hour difference and I knew there would be some jet lag but I did not think it would be a week and change of it.  I found myself sleeping on the couch in the early evening only to be up at 3:00 a.m. for the rest of the morning.  Now I understand why some people take Ambiem and I have a new-found sympathy for people who suffer from insomnia.  

As I mentioned, this was not a pleasure trip and certainly not a vacation.  I won't bore you with the details of my living accommodations in great detail except to say I certainly did not have my own suite.  This trip also reminded me why I no longer camp.

In the time I've been home, I've been reflecting on the comforts of home.  As the photo posted above shows, there are those who have endured profoundly more discomfort than I ever have.  I'm guessing most of you would agree.  We have it pretty good, very good actually.

I live in the Midwest, Iowa to be precise.  When I worked in New York City, my colleagues would reference this area as "flyover country."  It used to bother me.  Now, not so much.  If anything, I'm fine with it.  I like where I live.  I like the life I have and the comforts that go with it.  

The greatest comfort is being back with my family and friends.  When you are away from home it gives you the chance to appreciate what you missed.

I wonder how many of the guys in the photo had that opportunity.  

Be well my friends,
Jeno

Photo-

File:Soldiers in bunks on Army transport, S.S. Pennant, Port of Embarkation, San Francisco, California, November 1, 1942. - NARA - 531157.tif, public domain, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Soldiers_in_bunks_on_Army_transport,_S.S._Pennant,_Port_of_Embarkation,_San_Francisco,_California,_November_1,_1942._-_NARA_-_531157.tif


 

No comments:

Post a Comment