Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!

Our microwave announcing the New Year.  Photo by J. Berta

Greetings All:

So here it is, 2017, Happy New Year!  I hope you all had a great time welcoming in the new year.  I know we did.  It's been a while since I wore a suit and tie on New Year's.  I recognize that some of you had to work and thanks to those who did to help make our night fun.  I especially appreciate the Uber, cab and other drivers who were out there and helped all of us get home in one piece.  

As it is New Year's Day, it is also a "holy day of obligation."  Although I did not make it to Mass, I will share some of Pope Francis' New Year's Day message:  

“The new year will be good in the measure in which each of us, with the help of God, tries to do good, day by day, that’s how peace is created,...”

Sage advice.

And as is New Year's Day, I suppose it would be appropriate to give a nod to U2's song by the same name.   I always liked the video, yet I think I like this live version more.  The band are no longer the fresh-faced rockers of the 80s.  They are older.  Then again, aren't we all.

This is one of the more odd New Year's from a calendar standpoint as it is a Sunday, so the holiday is observed tomorrow.  I suspect some of you are doing what we're doing:  Lying around and enjoying the day.  Iowa just knocked off Michigan in basketball and tonight Green Bay takes on Detroit for the North Division Championship in the NFL.  With tomorrow being a holiday, there is a bit of luxury with today to not focus too much on the week (and year) ahead.  I think that is good thing.

As I mentioned yesterday, I am not a big fan of resolutions.  I am a huge proponent of goal-setting.  I mentioned Vic Johnson's book, The Thirteen Secrets of World-Class Achievers yesterday and I invite you to read or listen to it.

I will pass along for today another suggestion- listen to Simon Sinek's TED Talk.  Here's the link.  I have watched this talk a number of times and just reviewed it again today.  I think it is terrific.  I particularly like how Simon breaks it down into something basic, his "Golden Circle" of WHY? HOW? WHAT?  He nails why Apple is the market leader but it's applicable to any of us.  Any of us can do what an Apple does if we determine what is our "WHY?"

So I'd ask you this question:  What is your "why" for 2017?  I think if you answer that question, you'll be on your way to some serious goal-setting.

And by the way, I'm asking myself that same question.

Be well my friends and Happy New Year!
Jeno
 

No comments:

Post a Comment