Friday, October 3, 2014

Now Before You Get Angry

The American Flag that was not made here.  Photo by J. Berta
Greetings All:

Well it's another wild and crazy Friday night at my house.  Actually, not really.  The Disney channel is on and I'm sitting on the couch, typing this blog post.

I am not complaining.  If anything, I'm grateful to be home.  I recall being a teenager and viewing being home on a weekend night a death sentence.  Now, it's exactly where I want to be.

So we've established that I'm at home.  Here's where the photo comes in:  I happened to notice this plastic flag and could not help but notice the "MADE IN CHINA" logo on it.  

Really?  The American flag, our flag.  Made in China?!?  

Yup, apparently so.

My first thought was anger.  Straight-up anger that the American flag would be made in a Communist country.  Call me old fashioned, but I think our flag should be made in America, especially an actual flag that can be flown...or laid on a casket.

Yet this is somewhat different.  After I calmed down, I realized where this flag came from, the local 4th of July parade.  These were handed out to the kids on the route.  I am certain that whomever procured these flags never thought they would so boldly broadcast their country of manufacturing origin.  Yet there it is.

I am not a fan of China's government.  I do hope it moves forward and becomes more free, more democratic.  They've got the capitalism part down.  Just take a look at Ali Baba's stock price...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/19/live-blog-tracking-the-giant-alibaba-i-p-o/

As someone who tries to look on the bright side of things, there is an upside to this story.  Somewhere in China, some factory worker made this flag, or at least ran the machine the produced it.  I like to think that whomever he or she was that when they saw this flag, it kindled something inside of them.  It gave them hope that their fate and the collective fate of their country could get better.  That they could find a way to more freedom, to a better life.

Who knows, maybe that worker took a risk and took one of these flags home.  A long shot?  Sure.  Then again, consider our country's history.  We were the longest shot of the 18th century.

Perhaps what America was to that century China will be to this one.
So before you get angry at this photo, ponder this option.  It just may come to pass.

Be well my friends,
Jeno

No comments:

Post a Comment